Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Heroes?

So, I have been in Suli for over a week now.  Probably the biggest surprise so far is the perception that people have of Americans.  We 5 teachers have met with some important people so far including the president of the University and the head of the student government organization.  The message that they give us is always the same.  They tell us how the Kurdish people love Americans.  That they regard us as heroes.  They talk about how great Bush is and because of Americans they have been liberated from Saddam Hussein.  

I have found that it is true that Americans are liked here.  The other day I took a taxi back to my house from the grocery store with a co-teacher.  After using limited Kurdish and hand motions we arrived at the house.  The taxi driver refused to let us pay him.  I had to insisted 3 times before he let us pay.  I have heard from another American that sometimes taxi drivers will not let you pay no matter how much you insist.

This is such a different message than we hear in the States.  Even though I’m sure we would hear a different thing in other areas of Iraq.  It is very interesting to get a different perspective.

As far as teaching,  we performed a written and oral exam for about 500 students.  We will divide the students into sections the next day or two and start teaching on Saturday.   The university itself is very nice.  I hope to send pictures soon as I should have an internet connection at home within the next week or so. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the refreshing perspective on our involvement in that part of the world. I'm glad that you seem to be settling in to your new role, living conditions, and surroundings. Have an awesome day man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat, you are my hero! Not just because you are in Iraq, but because you are following after God even though it means being in Iraq. You encourage me so much. You are a reminder to never become too comfortable. I know that God is working in your life. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat.... It's good to see everything is going OK. It's got to be quite an adventure! Soak it up, and enjoy it! We remember you every day, and Hannah especially misses you! Stay safe and healthy.

    Bring me back a camel spider, OK? LOL

    ReplyDelete